Position Title: Chief Health Officer
Reports to: COO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Prepared: 6/22/21
America has developed an unhealthy relationship with food. We over-medicate instead of eating healthy and the growth of chronic disease is out of control. Today, 70% of U.S. deaths and 85% of U.S. health expenditures are a result of chronic disease. This must change if we are to thrive as a society.
The Dohmen Company has touched nearly every aspect of the healthcare supply system over our 160+ years of business. It was clear to us that a new type of organization was needed to help drive equitable change. So, in 2018 we exited the pharmaceutical industry and in 2019 we became the first organization in the nation to transition from a for-profit S-Corp to a not-for-profit philanthropic enterprise.
Through our new foundation we are developing the first ever food benefit to help America regain a healthy relationship with food. This will make clean eating easier, more enjoyable and – frankly – more delicious. And, while the “what” of our business has changed, our core values have and will always remain the same. You can think of this as our commitment to the market, our employees and partners:
- Caring: We’re empathetic and respectful.
- Committed: We’re dedicated and persistent.
- Creative: We’re inventive and imaginative.
- Collaborative: We’re cooperative and share our knowledge.
- Courageous: We’re willing to risk failure over inaction.
Our values represent the spirit of our company. They keep us grounded as we work to find the future. They define who we are, how we act and how we do business. And as a foundation owned organization focused on achieving a social return on investment (SROI), they are the essence of what makes us unique and successful.
The Chief Health Officer (CHO) is responsible for providing clinical leadership to Dohmen programs, innovation, communications, and planning - spearheading initiatives that advance Dohmen’s focus as a leader in food as medicine. The CHO is responsible for strategically supporting Dohmen’s vision of healthy people powering by healthy communities. This includes clinical oversight of current programs and ongoing projects, as well as new initiatives in line with Dohmen’s strategic direction of bringing expertise to reverse and prevent chronic disease. As the organization’s clinical expert, the CHO will be actively engaged in developing the health improvement plan and other partnerships that advance Dohmen’s vision along with representing the organization as a clinical expert in preventative health management and change strategies.
POSITION SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Health improvement within client employees and program participants
- Top quartile reimbursement rates
- Clinically validated health outcomes within participant population
- Collaboration with a cross-functional team to achieve development and operational integration of holistic market offerings with food as the focus.
- Assure clinical services meet reimbursement requirements and compliance regulations.
- Serve as the liaison to the area medical community-at-large, including medical schools, community physicians and medical societies; establishes positive relationships with that community.
- Provide clinical leadership for programs and assigned projects, research and evaluation areas, and in ensuring a consistent approach.
- Provide a bridge between subject and quality improvement, innovation and evaluation, bringing both clinical and public health knowledge and perspective.
- Identify and cultivate partnership opportunities related to existing programs and project work.
- Oversee the recruitment, support and retention of clinical staff for Dohmen projects and programs.
- Establish and build relationships with individuals and organizations that can provide support for programs, including financial support.
- Lead or guide content for proposal development to secure Dohmen contracts and grants.
- Contribute content for products, services, and consulting.
- Oversee and direct Dohmen’s programs and applied research, as well as all clinical content. As such, is responsible for:
- Directing translation of quality improvements, evaluation, and innovation into Dohmen initiatives.
- Overseeing work to develop lifestyle and behavior change for specific projects and programs, define measurement strategies, and create tools to support projects as appropriate.
- Leading and consulting on project evaluation, implementation, and execution strategies. o Guiding teams with data analysis and interpretation.
- Oversee the writing of reports and white papers, summarizing projects and findings at the executive level; oversee the writing and submission of manuscripts for peer-review publication based on Dohmen project results.
- Build or strengthen Dohmen's external relationships with organizations, clients and influencers who share Dohmen’s vision to drive change that improves health.
- Guide and contribute to clinical content, public health, and quality improvement for project teams.
- In a leadership position, participate in business and partner development, organizational management, and strategic and business planning, and Board of Directors meetings.
- Create a culture of health excellence through approaches that are innovative, effective, and efficient.
- Represent Dohmen Company Foundation’s vision, values and capability with passion and integrity.
- Continuously build and credibly convey deep knowledge of Dohmen’s capability.
- Continuously build and credibly convey deep knowledge of social innovation.
- Listen to the market, identify new opportunities, and overlay to Dohmen’s strategy.
- MD, DO or equivalent degree, board certified in family or internal medicine. Current Wisconsin medical license.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (public health, health services research) strongly preferred.
- Trained and certified in integrative and functional medicine.
- Minimum 3-5 years previous experience leading quality improvement initiatives, with expertise in measurement across healthcare settings, systems improvement models, population health and health systems design, population-based research design, implementation and analysis; expertise in additional approaches to improvement and health information technology a plus.
- 5-10 years of experience in health care delivery, clinical leadership experience a plus.
- Demonstrable passion for Dohmen’s vision.
- A hands-on leader with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision operationally.
- Strong understanding and demonstrated utilization of systems approaches and improvements.
- Experience working in communities to address social determinants of health to achieve health equity, a plus.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in the factors contributing to preventative health (such as screening and early detection, food as medicine, fitness, sleep practices, mindfulness).
- Past experience successfully partnering across teams to manage critical operational systems, is a plus.
- Effective communicator at all constituent levels.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the C Suite.
- The ability to conceptualize, design and deliver best in class solutions.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, and communication skills as related to healthcare quality topics.
- Travel up to 30%.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this summary amended at any time.
To inquire or apply for this position, please contact Kris Wolf at email@example.com.